The St. Mary Magdalene Church in Breslau belongs to the oldest churches in Poland, and its history dates back to the 11th century. Despite the damages caused by fires and wars, the church has saved its 1th century Gothic architecture. However, its most precious part is a richly ornamented late-Romanesque portal which embellishes the side entrance, about 200 years older than the remaining part of the building. Two sky towers, without tops since WWII, overlook Breslau, and their heights reach 72. Between them situated is the Penitent Bridge, and as the legend has it, on the bridge appear souls of dead travellers. Nowadays, the church is the parish of the Polish Catholic Church in Poland.
This is the oldest synagogue to have survived in Poland. It was built in the15th century in the style of German and Bohemian Gothic synagogues. In 1570 it was reconstructed by the Italian architect Mateo Gucci, who gave it a Renaissance form, although he left the former, double-nave plan of the building and reconstructed its vaulting. In the 2nd half of 16th and the 1st half of the 17th century the synagogue complex consisted of a vestibule, two houses of prayers and a building of community management. All the buildings together formed the religious-administrative centre of the Jewish community in Kazimierz. Before World War I and after it ended, it was renovated many times, according to plans drawn by Zygmunt Hendel in 1904, 1913 and 1923. In 1941, during the period when the Germans were establishing ghetto in Kraków, the synagogue was taken over by German Fiduciary Office (Treuhandstelle), and used as a warehouse. Its furnishings were destroyed. At the end of 1944, the ceiling collapsed or perhaps it was destroyed intentionally. Between 1956 and 1959 the synagogue was reconstructed. Based on an agreement from 30 October 1959 between the Jewish Religious Community in Kraków and Kraków’s History Museum a museum was established in it: a Branch of Jewish History and Culture.
Tradycyja Restaurant is located in historic interiors of the Pinocińska Tenement, which name derives from one of its greatest owners – born in Italy – Hieronim Pinocci. His contribution into Polish tradition and culture has become an inspiration to combine two trends of culinary art. The flavours of Poland and Italian traditions complement one another splendidly. Polish and Italian profile of Tradycyja was determined by the history of this place, however our restaurant came into being as a tribute to love and respect for indigenous culture and traditional cuisine we proudly cherish here
Wierzynek Restaurant is famous for its excellent cuisine, unique atmosphere and the longest tradition of feasting in Poland. It is a magical place – impossible to miss, when visiting the Main Market Square in Krakow.
Wierzynek Restaurant is inspired by the splendid feast hosted by Mikolai Wierzynek in 1364, which was attended by great European monarchs. Today our mission is to give the same royal welcome to every single guest of our Restaurant as Mikolai Wierzynek did 650 years ago. We treat Noble prize winners and Oscar winners the same as we treat Presidents and Royalty. We will treat you in the same exceptional way- as every Guest is for us the most important one!
Wierzynek Restaurant is located in the heart of Krakow on the biggest medieval market in Europe. Therefore our Guest can dine to the sound of horses’ hooves clacking on the pavement while enjoying a fantastic view of the Cloth Hall and St. Mary’s Basilica.
The exceptional atmosphere of the Wierzynek Restaurant is created by its opulent historic interiors. Each of every nine rooms has its own unique décor. Old suits of armour adorn the historic walls of the Knight’s Room, ornamental frescos captivate Guests of the two Pompeian Rooms and modern, surreal paintings by Rafal Olbinski and Tomasz Setowski contrast with the ancient clocks and tile stoves of the Clock Room and the Chamber of Imagination .
This particular combination of tradition and modernity is reflected also in the menu of the Wierzynek Restaurant. Our chefs prepare dishes according to their own recipes which are inspired by traditional polish courtly cuisine.The 19th century author of “The physiology of taste” Brillat-Savarin wrote that discovery of a new taste contributes to the happiness of humankind more than the discovery of a new star. Therefore we are in continuous pursuit of new recipies and we enrichour traditional Old Polish dishes with European influences spicing them up with modern taste.
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul is the first structure in Kraków designed entirely in the Baroque style, and perhaps the first Baroque building in present-day Poland. It was funded by the King Zygmunt III Waza for the Jesuit order. The plan of the church as a cruciform basilica was drafted by an Italian architect Giovanni de Rossi. His design was carried out by Józef Britius at first (from 1597), and then modified by Giovanni Maria Bernardoni. The final shape of the present day façade, the dome and its Baroque interior belongs to Giovanni Battista Trevano, who completed them in the years 1605–1619. The Church was ceremonially consecrated on 8 July 1635.In the years 1809–1815, at the time of the Partitions of Poland, the place of worship served as an Orthodox church. Since 1842 until now, it belongs to the Roman Catholic All Saints parish. In 1960 the church was raised to the rank of the Smaller Basilica. It is the biggest of the historic Churches of Kraków in terms of seating capacity.
Every Thursday inside the Church, demonstrations are held of the longest Foucault pendulum in Poland (46,5 m), suspended for the popular display of the Earth’s rotation. Named after the French physicist Léon Foucault, the experimental apparatus consists of a tall pendulum free to swing in any vertical plane. The actual path of the swing appears to rotate; while in fact the plane is fixed in space, but the Earth rotates under the pendulum once a sidereal day. It is a simple and easy-to-see proof of the Earth’s movement.
Isaac synagouge is named after its founder rabbi Isaac Jakubowicz – rich Jewish merchant and the chairman of Kazimierz Jewish Community. In 1638 with the approval of polish king Władysław 4th Vasa and help of royal architect Giovanni Trevano its construction was started. Six years later the building was ready and it became the biggest and the richest synagogue in Town. Nazi occupation and the holocaust put an end to its glory.
All valuables and artifacts were stolen, and its rabbi Max Redlich was shot in front of the door when he refused to burn down the holy Torah. Since that time building was turned into storehouse, sculpture workshop and even a church. In 80’s it was restored and given to its righteous owners. In 90’s it served as an culture and education center. Money collected from audiences were used for further reconstruction. Since 21st century synagogue is used by Hassidic Chabad Lubavith Community and slowly its coming back to its origins with help of artists performing during Klezmer Music Concerts in Isaac Synagouge.